Monday, March 30, 2009

Where Have You Been

Haven't talked to you in a while. For the last week or so, I've wanted to blog about a run in I had with a senior (citizen not HS student)at Chase's last hockey playoff game but so much has happened, I can't seem to catch up. Chase's team is playing for the Championship tomorrow night.

Jen and I have been looking to rent a house which is much more involved and taking a lot longer then I expected. And our 3 year old came down with a virus over the weekend which is how it seems to be going. It's like you can't catch your breath.

The Senior - I've made up a bunch of sayings, mantras, proverbs, "words to live by", if you will, on my radio show over the years. One of which is "Don't Mess With Old People (and stay off my lawn!)". Well, last week at Chase's game our opponents were not being called for infractions like hitting a player into the boards/glass from behind and high sticking, stuff that can result in serious injury. At the same time, the refs were penalizing every offense we committed. I don't mind refs calling a tight game, as long as it's equal, but I was more upset because I was afraid somebody was going to get hurt. If you don't punish blatant/dangerous infractions, players get upset and things get out of control.

Well, this , uh, older gentleman who was standing nearby and happened to be a supporter of our opponent, misintrepreted my loud freedom of expression (booing the referees) and said something derogatory and I responded in a rather rude manner, much to my wife's chagrin. I didn't swear or totally lose it , but I called him some things like "Pap" and "Geritol" which I later regretted. I always prided myself on not being one of those parents who gets out of control at their kids game but I guess I've got a ways to go.............

Chase's team (Greensburg Salem Freshmen) plays Serra Catholic for the PIHL Championship tomorrow night and I am excited and nervous almost as much about my behavior as I am the game. Jen has not let me forget my boorish behavior last week.
I worry about what to say to Chase if his team loses. They've come so far and expectations are so high and he's been through a lot over the last 6 months that I really feel like he deserves this , but life isn't fair and it's bigger then sports, but it's hard to explain that to a teenager. So let's hope they win.

Maybe next time I'll tell you about some of the adventures Jen and I have had looking at houses. Not sure how many we've looked at , but I'm guessing it's 20 or more and man have we seen some fascinating and met some interesting people.
Have a great day!

1 comment: